Admitted Transfer FAQ

Your Notice of Admission letter and Admitted Student Checklist in myIllini should help guide you through your next steps as an admitted student, but if you have any more questions, you'll hopefully find all your answers here.


As an admitted student, you'll log in to your myIllini account as a "future student" using the same information you provided during the application process. Then, you can click on your application for admission to view and manage your personalized admitted student checklist.

Your admission was, in part, based on your schedule. Dropping any courses listed as a requirement for admission to your major won’t be approved.

Any request for a schedule change must be submitted via the Course Change Form through myIllini. When we review final transcripts, we check final grades as well as schedule changes. An unauthorized schedule change or drop in grades could jeopardize your admission.

Your application for admission is used to determine your eligibility for all merit-based scholarships and honors programs. You’ll be contacted about these as they're awarded.

You may also submit the Office of Student Financial Aid's supplemental application for merit- and need-based scholarships. Need-based aid requires submission of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). If you haven’t submitted your FAFSA yet, do so as soon as possible. If you have, note that we won't be able to confirm we've received it until March due to a delay in the Department of Education sending FAFSA information to schools. We hope to send out Financial Aid Notifications in mid-April. You can also check your financial aid status online.

For more information, contact the Office of Student Financial Aid at 217-333-0100.

If you applied for fall admission, you should accept your offer online by May 15 (or within 2 weeks of receiving your Notice of Admission). If you applied for spring admission, you should accept your offer online within 2 weeks of receiving your notice of admission. The sooner you accept your offer of admission, the sooner you can sign up for registration, submit your housing request, and more.

Yes, you must submit a $150 nonrefundable acceptance fee when accepting your offer of admission. Your acceptance won’t be official until you submit this fee. You may use a credit or debit card when paying the fee. If you were approved for an application fee waiver, the acceptance fee will be waived.

You must be admitted in order to claim your NetID. If you’re having difficulty claiming your NetID, contact Technology Services at 217-244-7000 for further assistance.

You can cancel your admission online by declining your offer in your myIllini account, or you can contact us directly. The $150 acceptance fee is nonrefundable.

If you’ve signed up for housing, you’ll also need to notify that department.

In some cases, you may request a delay of admission to UIUC. For more details on how and when to request a delay of admission, visit our policies page.


If you’d like to change your major, submit our Program/Term Change Form within myIllini. We encourage you to review the Transfer Handbook for minimum admissions requirements and speak with an admissions counselor before submitting this form to see if you have a good chance of being admitted to your requested program.

If you choose to attend UIUC under the major to which you've been admitted, you’ll be able to speak with your academic advisor about your educational goals during registration. You may have to meet certain coursework and GPA requirements before transferring to another program. It is also important to understand that you will not be able to change to any major in The Grainger College of Engineering or the Gies College of Business after enrolling on campus.

Students with an alternative offer were strongly considered for their first choice; however, we simply didn’t have room for all qualified applicants. If you’re interested in transferring to another program after enrolling at UIUC, we recommend that you work with your academic advisor to learn the requirements and timeline needed to eventually do so. It is also important to understand that you will not be able to change to any major in The Grainger College of Engineering or Gies College of Business after enrolling on campus. More information is included within your Notice of Admission letter.

If you’d like to double major or add a minor, you’ll need to speak with your advisor at registration. They will be able to instruct you on how to proceed.


Transfer students can choose to live within any of our university housing units, including one of our Transfer Communities. Other options include Graduate Housing (open to students who are at least 20 years old), family housing, and university-run apartments. For more information, visit the University Housing website or call 217-333-7111. Private Certified Housing is also an option for new students.

You may have the option to live in off-campus housing, but you should confirm with University Housing at 217-333-7111 before signing a lease. If you are eligible to live off campus, Off-Campus Community Living has many resources for students interested in alternative housing.

University Housing uses a priority deadline to make hall and room assignments. We encourage you to meet the priority deadline of May 22 for fall enrollment. All contracts received by May 22 will be placed in random order, and assignments will be made in that order. Contracts received after the priority deadline will be placed in the order they’re received.

For spring enrollees, you can complete your housing contract 48 hours after accepting your offer of admission.

Fall enrollees will be notified in June as to which hall you’ve been assigned and will find out your roommate’s information in July for fall enrollment. Spring enrollees will receive this information from University Housing directly.

Transcripts & Credit

Yes. Your admission decision is contingent on successful completion of any courses in progress. For fall enrollment, you should have your final college transcripts sent to our office by July 1. If you’re taking summer courses, you will need to send a new transcript as soon as your summer grades are finalized. For spring enrollment, final college transcripts should be submitted to our office as soon as fall grades are posted. All transcripts must be sent directly from the institution at which the courses were taken.

You may view your Transfer Evaluation Report within myIllini.

AP test scores must be sent from CollegeBoard electronically and should be sent to the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign.

We provide credit equivalencies for both AP and IB exams. It may be helpful for you to bring a copy of your test scores to registration. This will let academic advisors know what credits you’ve earned.

Yes, proficiency tests are offered in most subject areas. You must sign up for the proficiency exam through the specific academic department. Proficiency tests are usually offered a few times each semester. The first opportunity for you to take a proficiency test will be during the first week of class.


For fall enrollees, your first tuition bill will arrive electronically to your university email address in September. For spring enrollees, your first tuition bill will arrive electronically to your university email address in February. Any financial aid is generally disbursed the week before the start of classes. For information regarding billing, payment due dates, and payment options, visit the University Bursar's website.

We provide an optional payment plan that allows you to spread payment of anticipated tuition, mandatory fees, room, and board expenses.

We use your parents’ residence to determine residency. If your parent or parents move to Illinois, you can become a resident at the beginning of the next term following the move. If you’re legally emancipated from your parents or independent, you must reside in the state of Illinois for 1 year for non-educational purposes before being eligible for in-state tuition.