Military-Connected Applicants

If you're a military-connected student interested in pursuing an undergraduate degree at UIUC, you're in the right place. Military-connected students include active-duty members, veterans, and dependents of those in the US Military Service.

ROTC Pushup Crew celebrate a score on field at an Illinois football game

650+ military-connected students enrolled at the University of Illinois each semester

graduating officers pose in uniform by Alma Mater

89% of military-connected students are employed or pursue continuing education after graduation

Admissions Process

How you'll apply to the University of Illinois depends on where you are in your studies, rather than on your military-connected status. If you're pursuing a degree on campus, you'll apply as either a first-year or transfer student.

First-Year Applicant

In general, first-year applicants are students who will head to college for the first time after graduating high school. You can find a more specific definition on our policies page.

Apply Now

Transfer Applicant

Transfer applicants are students who enrolled in a degree-seeking program at a higher education institution after graduating high school. More details are available on our policies page.

Apply Now

On your application, you'll have the opportunity to let us know that you're military-connected via a multiple-choice question. We encourage you to select the option that applies to you!

How We Review

Your application will be evaluated by differing criteria depending on whether you're applying as a first-year or a transfer student. Both review processes take into account your story, including the opportunities available to you over the course of your academic career, as well as your experiences while serving in the military. More information on the review process for current or past members of US Military Service is available on our policies page.

Online Programs

If you're interested in pursuing a degree online, UIUC offers three undergraduate degrees to transfer students. To apply to an online program as a degree seeking student, you'll follow the same application process as all other transfer students. To take classes or complete a certificate through UIUC, you can do so as a nondegree student.

Explore Illinois Online

ROTC students hold a Fighting Illini flag at an obstacle course

#21 school for veterans (US News)

Paying for School

There are several federal, state, and institutional student financial aid programs available to cover your cost of attendance. Visit the Office of Student Financial Aid (OSFA) Veterans page for a general overview of veterans-related aid information or the Apply for Education Benefits page for step-by-step guide to applying for and using educational benefits.

VA Education Benefits

A list of federal educational programs available to veterans and sometimes their dependents is available on the OSFA Federal Veterans Programs page. However, you should also review the Department of Veterans Affairs website for the most up-to-date information on these programs and to determine the best benefit package for you.

State of Illinois Benefits

To explore the educational programs available for veterans in the state of Illinois, explore the eligibility terms on the OSFA website. It's also a good idea to review each program page to ensure you're receiveing the most current information.

Children of Veterans

The Children of Veterans Tuition Waiver is a four-year consecutive in-state tuition waiver at the University of Illinois given to natural, step, or legally adopted children of service members who are veterans. Learn more about eligibility, applying, and limitations on the OFSA website.

General Help With Paying

For more information about general financial aid opportunities and calculating your costs, explore our Help With Paying page. There, you'll find guides for filling out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), tips on how and where to find external scholarships, and more!

Chez Veterans Center

The Chez Veterans Center provides open, welcoming spaces for all military-connected students. As the largest, most comprehensive facility of its kind in the United States, the center is designed to support you throughout your time on campus.

From individualized academic and career coaching to peer and professional mentoring, the center offers tons of resources for students transitioning to university life. More information about these programs and services is available on their website.

Chez Veterans Center with American flag flying out front
The Chez Veterans Center with American flag flying out front.

8 years of suppporting veterans

14 residential suites available

1,200+ military-connected students reached


Many types of housing options are available to Illinois students. Students interested in living in the campus residence halls can explore those on the University Housing website; there are also graduate, upper-division residence halls open to veteran students which provide a more private, mature environment.

Students who qualify to live off-campus and would prefer apartment living to the traditional residence hall experience can explore University-affiliated apartments, as well as ADA/Accessible housing options. More information is available on Housing's Special Living Options page.

Find Housing Options


Read frequently asked questions among military-connected students—if your question wasn't answered above, you may find it here!

All UIUC, students are automatically enrolled in the university's Student Health Insurance and billed a once-per-semester fee, attached to your tuition amount. You can choose to opt out of coverage if you don't want to participate.

If you're a veteran of the US Military Service, you may be eligible for VA healthcare. You can find more information, including eligibility and how to apply for health benefits, on the US Department of Veterans Affairs website.

Transfer students are eligible to recieve up to four semester hours of lower-division military science credit. You can find specific information about receiving military credit on our Policies & Procedures page, as well as informaton about receiving credit for education gained in the Armed Forces.

UIUC gets its miltary-connected student numbers by identifying how many Illinois students are receiving miltary-connected education benefits. However, you don't need to be officially identified or be receiving benefits to visit and join the Chez Veterans Center community; its doors are open to all students who identify themselves as military-connected.

The Yellow Ribbon program covers out-of-state tuition costs for students who are currently drawing on Chapter 33 Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits. At UIUC, students who are eligible to receive these benefits also qualify for in-state tuition, which means they do not require the additional funds granted by the Yellow Ribbon program to cover tuition and fees!