We understand your concerns regarding the current financial aid delays, and we're sorry this is happening! We're committed to minimizing the impact on you and your family, and, if needed, we will change our FAFSA and college commitment deadlines. Our decision to change our deadlines will be announced no later than March 15. If you have any questions in the meantime, please don't hesitate to contact our Office of Undergraduate Admissions or Office of Student Financial Aid directly.

Admitted First-Year FAQ

Your Notice of Admission packet and admitted student checklist in myIllini should help guide you through your next steps as an admitted student, but if you have any more questions, you'll hopefully find all your answers here.


As an admitted student, you'll log in to your myIllini account as a "future student" using the same information you provided during the application process. Then, you can click on your application for admission to view and manage your personalized admitted student checklist.

Your admission was, in part, based on your schedule. Therefore, we’ll only approve drops in your schedule for medical reasons or extenuating circumstances. You can change your schedule, but the change must be to a comparable level course (e.g., AP for AP, honors for honors, etc.).

Don't make any changes to your schedule unless you've received approval from our office. Any request for a schedule change must be submitted through myIllini. When we review final transcripts, we check final grades as well as your senior year courses. An unauthorized schedule change or extreme drop in grades could jeopardize your admission.

Your application for admission is used to determine your eligibility for all merit-based scholarships and honors awarded through us. Information on when these will be awarded can be found on our dates page.

You may also submit the Office of Student Financial Aid's supplemental application for merit and need-based scholarships. Need-based aid requires submission of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). If you haven’t submitted your FAFSA yet, do so as soon as possible. If you submit it before March 15, you should receive notification via email between early March and mid-April. You can also check your financial aid status online.

For more information, contact the Office of Student Financial Aid at 217-333-0100.

You should accept your offer of admission online by May 1 (or within two weeks if you receive your Notice of Admission packet after April 15). The sooner you accept your offer of admission, the sooner you can sign up for New Student Registration, submit your housing request, and more.

Yes, you must submit a $150 nonrefundable acceptance fee when accepting your offer of admission. Your acceptance won’t be official until you submit this fee. You may use a credit or debit card when paying the fee. If you were approved for an application fee waiver, the acceptance fee will be waived.

You must accept your admission offer in order to claim your NetID. If you’re having difficulty claiming your NetID, contact Technology Services at 217-244-7000 for further assistance.

You can cancel the offer of admission online or you can email our office, requesting to cancel your admission to University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign. The $150 acceptance fee is nonrefundable.

If you’ve signed up for housing, you’ll also need to notify our Housing Information Office.

In some cases, you may request a delay of admission to UIUC. For more details on how and when to request a delay of admission, visit our policies page.


Yes, it's possible by submitting the Program/Term Change Form in myIllini, but it's not always in your best interest to do so.

In submitting the form, you are withdrawing your current application and forfeiting your admission to the university. Because the program change is treated as a new application and it is past our application deadline, you'll now be considered a late applicant. If you are denied or waitlisted from the new major, you will be denied from the university and won't be able to move back into your original major. If you've been awarded scholarships or invited to join an honors program in your current program, those awards may also be affected.

If you choose to attend UIUC under the major to which you have been admitted, you’ll be able to speak with your academic advisor about your educational goals during New Student Registration. You may have to meet certain coursework and GPA requirements before transferring to another program.

You were strongly considered for your first choice; however, we simply didn’t have room for all qualified applicants. You’re still considered wait listed for your first choice. If space becomes available in this major later on, we’ll let you know even if you’ve declined your offer.

We strongly encourage you to stick with the major you were admitted into after enrolling at UIUC. If you’re interested in transferring to another program, we recommend you work with your academic advisor to learn the requirements and timeline needed to do so. If you were admitted into the Division of General Studies (DGS), you'll work with an advisor to craft a unique schedule and declare a major before your junior year.

If you’d like to double major or add a minor, you’ll need to speak with your advisor at New Student Registration. They will be able to instruct you on how to proceed.


Visit Housing's website to learn how to apply. We encourage you to meet our priority deadline of May 15. If we receive your contract by this date, we'll assign you a time slot. When your time slot arrives, you'll choose a space from available rooms across campus, as well as a meal plan. If you submit your contract after May 15, we'll select a room and roommate for you based on the preferences you provide.

You’ll receive a notice in late June that confirms your room selection and provides the name of your roommate.

Test Scores, Transcripts & Credit

Your admission decision is contingent on successful completion of any courses in progress or that you planned to take prior to entry to UIUC as well as the accurate self-reporting of your test scores, courses, and grades.

Your admission decision is contingent on the accurate self-reporting of your test scores. If you choose to enroll at UIUC, you need to send the official scores you reported on the application.

No, they don't need to be resent, but be sure to check your Admitted Checklist to confirm they are received.

Fall enrollees should have official final high school transcripts and official test scores sent to us by July 1. Summer enrollees should have test scores and transcripts showing 9 through 11 grades sent to us by June 1 and their final transcript sent to us as soon as senior grades are posted.

After completing all college courses, send us the official transcripts directly from your college. Your credit hours and grades will be added to your UIUC record.

Both AP and IB test scores must be sent electronically to the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign. It may be helpful for you to bring a copy of your AP or IB test scores to New Student Registration. This will let academic advisors know what credits you’ve earned.

To submit Cambridge GCE (A-Level) results, contact us directly with your name, UIN, candidate number, date of birth, testing center number, and series (date) of the exam.

Other examination board results should be mailed directly from the examination board or as certified copies from your school. Original certificates may also be submitted to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions.

Yes, proficiency tests are offered in most subject areas. You must sign up for the proficiency exam through the specific academic department. Proficiency tests are usually offered a few times each semester. The first opportunity for you to take a proficiency test will be during the first week of class.


Your first tuition bill will arrive electronically to your university email address in September. Any financial aid is generally dispersed the week before the start of classes. For information regarding billing, payment due dates, and payment options, visit the University Bursar's website.

We provide an optional payment plan that allows you to spread payment of anticipated tuition, mandatory fees, room, and board expenses.

If you are a dependent: To qualify for in-state tuition, your family must live in or move to Illinois for at least 12 consecutive months. The in-state tuition rate would begin at the start of the next term.

If you are not a dependent: To qualify for in-state tuition, you must live in Illinois for one full year for non-educational purposes. This means that during that 12-month period, you may not enroll at any institution of higher education more than half-time.