Transfer International Applicant FAQ

Application deadlines can be found on our dates page.

You’ll need to review both our transfer information and international requirements. Our transfer requirements vary by program of study. You should plan to complete the prerequisites for your specific program prior to starting here at Illinois.

English proficiency requirements can be found on our admissions process page.

We need official college transcripts for any college or university you’ve attended, along with official, final high school transcripts. We also require certified true copies of any external exams (for example, A-Levels, ISC, or HKDSE). These are typically used to show proof of completion through grade 12 equivalence and often meet our language other than English requirement.

If you don’t meet our English proficiency requirements, we also need official TOEFL or IELTS scores. Only students who have fewer than 30 hours of transferable credit need to submit official SAT I or ACT scores. If you’ll be attending on an F-1 or J-1 visa, see our visa-related questions below.

If you apply for spring entry, you’ll be notified of a decision by mid-December. If you apply for fall entry, you’ll be notified of a decision by mid-April. If you’re an incoming sophomore transfer for Fall 2016 admission, we strongly recommend applying after the completion of your Fall 2015 courses so your grades can be included in your admission review.

No, we don’t accept letters of recommendation. We’ll remove any unsolicited materials, including letters of recommendation, from your file before reviewing your application.

No, if you’re requesting the F-1 or J-1 student visa, you’ll submit this documentation after you’ve been admitted to Illinois. You must submit the I-20 application, your bank statement, and a copy of your passport online. Note that if you’re admitted, a delay in sending these documents to us will mean a delay in receiving your I-20.

Yes, you should complete the international undergraduate application at this time. When you receive your green card, send us a copy, and we’ll change your status within our system. Read more about residency.

You can read more about this process on our student visa page.

Our Programs of Study and Courses catalogs are available online.