Nondegree Applicants

Illinois lets you take courses as a part-time, nondegree undergraduate student. To best determine which office should process your application, complete the campus Nondegree Student Interest Form.


Some colleges don't consider nondegree applicants because of space constraints. Review our open and closed programs to learn more.

How to Apply

You must submit a nondegree application, which includes a signed statement that you're in good academic standing. If you're interested in an online course, you'll most likely apply through the Center for Innovation in Teaching and Learning instead.

Previous Students

If you’ve previously attended Illinois as a degree-seeking or nondegree student in the fall or spring, you need to contact the college that offers the courses in which you want to enroll. You may be required to complete an application for your college on a semester-by-semester basis. In most cases, if you’re seeking nondegree status for the summer term only, you won't be required to submit an application.

International Students

Due to space limitations for admission and government regulations on student visas, international students are unable to apply for nondegree admission for spring and fall terms. However, you can apply for nondegree admission for summer terms if you're currently in the U.S. holding a visa that allows part- or full-time study.


Following are the deadlines to apply for each term. Applications from University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign employees are accepted through the first day of class.

  • Fall: July 31
  • Spring: November 30
  • Summer: As soon as possible after February 1


Preference for nondegree admission for fall and spring terms will be given to:

  • Employees of the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
  • Permanent residents of the Champaign-Urbana community
  • Applicants who are trying to take courses that aren't offered anywhere else in the state of Illinois

Course Approval

Course enrollment for spring and fall requires the approval of the college you're enrolled in and the department offering the course at the beginning of each semester. Note that the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences generally doesn't consider nondegree applicants in overenrolled classes.