We understand your concerns regarding the current financial aid delays, and we're sorry this is happening! We're committed to minimizing the impact on you and your family, and, if needed, we will change our FAFSA and college commitment deadlines. Our decision to change our deadlines will be announced no later than March 15. If you have any questions in the meantime, please don't hesitate to contact our Office of Undergraduate Admissions or Office of Student Financial Aid directly.

Qualifying for In-State Tuition FAQ

You can find more detailed information on residency and qualifying for in-state tuition through University Academic Programs and Services.


If you are a dependent: Your family must live in or move to Illinois for at least 12 consecutive months immediately preceding the first day of classes. The in-state tuition rate would begin at the start of the next term.

If you are not a dependent: You must live in Illinois for one full year for non-educational purposes. This means that during that 12-month period, you may not enroll at any institution of higher education more than half-time.

As long as 1 parent is a bona fide resident of Illinois, you’ll pay in-state tuition. This is true even if the parent living outside of Illinois is actually your main source of financial support.

Once you’re admitted as a resident student, you’ll continue to qualify for in-state tuition provided you maintain continuous enrollment for the fall and spring terms and live in Illinois during that time. Returning to your parents’ home outside of Illinois for the summer only won’t jeopardize your in-state tuition.

You’re not eligible for in-state tuition.

If your parents have maintained residency in Illinois by being the home of record while serving in the military, you may qualify for in-state tuition. You’ll need to send the DD214 or official military orders to the Office of the Registrar.

You’re not eligible for in-state tuition.

As long as you hold a temporary visa, you don’t qualify for in-state tuition. However, when you receive federal notification that your status for permanent residency has been approved, you may start the period of establishment of residency for in-state tuition. Notification that your application has been received isn’t sufficient.

If you can answer "Yes" to the following questions, you may be eligible for in-state tuition. You’ll need to submit our Residency Affidavit:

  1. Did you reside with your parents while attending a public or private high school in Illinois?
  2. Did you or will you graduate from a public or private high school in Illinois?
  3. Did you or will you attend school in Illinois for at least three years as of the date you graduated from high school or received the equivalent of a high school diploma?
  4. If you’re not a citizen or permanent resident of the United States, will you provide UIUC with an affidavit stating that you’ll file an application to become a permanent resident of the United States at your earliest opportunity?

No, UIUC does not offer in-state tuition to residents of states other than Illinois.