Illinois provides multiple services and protective measures to ensure students are safe on campus.
Campus is extremely safe. We provide multiple services to ensure students feel comfortable, such as Campus Police, coded keys, SafeRides and SafeWalks programs, emergency telephones, bright lighting around campus, Student Patrol and self-defense classes among other things. The University of Illinois takes this responsibility seriously and offers tips on how to be your own first line of safety.
Pedestrian Safety Tips
Pedestrian safety is a priority for the Division of Public Safety since the University of Illinois has a major pedestrian population.
- Be alert! Your safety and the safety of others depend on your attentiveness to your surroundings.
- Use crosswalks at all times and obey the signals at intersections when walking. If you are crossing at any location other than a crosswalk you must yield to traffic.
- Try to make eye contact; this helps to determine if the driver has seen you.
- When driving, keep alert to pedestrians and bicyclists to avoid a possible accident.
Campus Safety Tips
It is important to be alert and become familiar with your environment to remain safe. Campus has a variety of programs to provide a safer place in which you can study, work, and socialize.
- Avoid walking alone at night. Be aware of your surroundings and people around you.
- Trust your instincts. If you feel uncomfortable in a place or situation, head for an area with lights and people. Get help if necessary.
- Plan the safest route. Use well-lit, well-travelled routes. The shortest route isn't always the safest.
- Avoid using distracting technology such as phones, MP3 players, or anything else that will decrease the awareness of your surroundings.
- Avoid levels of intoxication that will leave you vulnerable and unaware.
- Report any unusual or suspicious activity.
- Do not display valuables openly.
- Be cautious around ATM machines.
- Have your keys ready in your hand so you can open the door to your home or car immediately.
- Utilize SafeWalks and SafeRides.
SafeWalks and SafeRides provide transportation between designated areas to University students, faculty, and staff. SafeWalks and SafeRides offer free transportation on campus when individuals are travelling alone or when no other safe transportation is available.
The University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign Annual Security Report is available. This report includes statistics from the previous three years concerning reported crime that occurred on campus, in certain off-campus buildings or property owned or controlled by the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign campus. The report also includes institutional policies concerning campus security and other safety information. You may obtain a paper copy of this report by contacting the Division of Public Safety.